Udawatta Kele Sanctuary or the Royal Forest Park of Kandy is located on the hillside behind the Temple of the Tooth Relic some 1.5 km from The Radh Hotel. The 257 acres is hailed as a vital Bio reserve for the highly populated Kandy City. Centuries ago, the area surrounding Kandy had been a rain forest. During the Kandyan Kingdom, this forest area behind the palace was called " Uda wasala watta" or the 'Upper Palace Garden' frequented by the royalty and was off limits to the general public. The sanctuary is widely known for its extensive and exotic birdlife. The reserve is also home to a wide variety of plant species. The forest reserve was declared a sanctuary in 1938 and remains under the control of Department of Wildlife Conservation.
Distance From the Property